Maybe you take a painkiller to manage headaches but did you know you can also get a more holistic treatment from a chiropractor for headaches? Headaches are a very common ailment and they exist in various forms. A chiropractic session might prove an effective way to relieve the pain of tension headaches. Let’s take a closer look at what can a chiropractor do for headaches and migraines.

What Causes Headaches In The First Place?

There are a number of triggers that can result in a headache, and these include causes related to your environment, the food that you eat and the external stimuli you expose yourself to.

Actually, only 5% of headaches are signs of a problem in the body – the other 95% are the result of migraines or tension headaches. Most tension headaches have been found to exist in conjunction with muscle tension in the neck.

Muscle tension in the neck is often caused by incorrect posture or sitting in the same position for extended periods of time. And that’s no surprise, is it? More and more people live a sedentary lifestyle and, if you have a desk or computer job you’ll probably find yourself sitting with your head bowed down for many hours within the day.

Chiropractor For Tension Headaches – How Can They Help?

Chiropractic care can help you to adjust your posture to improve the way your body bears tension, and also assist you with different spinal exercises to help you release the tension from your neck and shoulders. Essentially a chiropractor for headaches can help you to find relief that is drug-free.

Using chiropractic to release tension from the body

Treating injuries is very important because not all problems can self-resolve and, as we get older, can actually become worse over time. If you have a sports injury one of two things will likely happen: you will not exercise at all or you will exercise over the injury and run the risk of making it even worse.

Practicing good posture and sitting in the correct chair (or changing the position of your chair) is essential to avoid recurrent tension headaches. Your chiropractic will assist you with this. If you do sit in the same position for extended periods of time a chiropractor for tension headaches may be able to help you with ergonomic adjustments.

Chiropractic adjustments and spinal manipulation

By performing certain adjustments your chiropractic can improve spinal function to reduce unnecessary stress and tension in your muscles. This will help you to avoid overworking certain muscle groups and to ensure good weight distribution.

Cervicogenic headaches

Cervicogenic headaches typically do not improve with medication but it might be possible for a chiropractor to provide relief from pain by applying gentle force to a specific area of the upper (cervical) spine.

Deep neck flexion may be required in order to stretch the flexor muscles in your neck, so that they can provide more support.

Joint mobilisation is another technique that is used for managing cervicogenic headaches, where your chiropractor will gently move your joints in order to provide pain relief or improve your range of motion.

Managing migraines

Chiropractic with the additional of remedial massage to your neck, back and shoulders may provide relief from migraine headaches.

Major tension headaches

While many tension headaches may improve with painkillers, chiropractic therapy often offers a drug-free way to find relief. Applying gentle force and stretching the neck joints may provide relief from major tension headaches.

Regular exercise

Many headaches are the result of compound forces coming together. Often chiropractic therapy needs to be considered in conjunction with other lifestyle modifications. Your chiropractic will also take you through exercises to help manage headaches. These exercises are usually low impact as not to compound headaches.
Your chiropractor will also advise you on dietary changes and supplements which may assist in providing headache relief.

Are you suffering from chronic headaches or unnecessary tension? Then you might need a chiropractor for headaches. Contact us today: 02 9546 6033.